The Rotterdam police suspect that an 18-year-old suspect from Spijkenisse was responsible for at least twelve attacks with explosives throughout the country last year. The first explosion he was suspected of was at a house in Rotterdam’s Jensiusstraat on July 15. This house was also shot at a day later.
(mediaTV archive image)
During the course of the investigation, co-suspects also came into the picture: two 18 and 19-year-old boys from Spijkenisse. They are suspected of six and nine different attacks respectively.
This week, a court case revealed that mostly young perpetrators were paid amounts of around 500 euros for an explosion.
The investigation into Jensiusstraat, a street in the Oude Noorden, first ended up with the criminal investigation department of the Rotterdam-Oost district, later this was taken over by the central investigation department. The 18-year-old boy from Spijkenisse was arrested on July 27. The other two suspects were arrested on August 4 and October 6. A fourth suspect was already in custody on another case.
The police say they regularly see that suspects can be linked to three to four different attacks.
Through the whole country
The investigation team is still looking for co-suspects, clients and/or intermediaries.
the first arrested suspect is said to have been involved in explosions on Jensiusstraat, Ericastraat, Nassaustraat, Koolhavenstraat in Schiedam, Hazenkamp in Reuver, Aan het Roadhoes in Melick, Nieuwe Dorpsweg in Fijnaart, West Kinderdijk in Alblasserdam, Leutherweg in Venlo, the Zwarteweg in Venlo and the Luttekenstraat in Elburg.
This year, the police arrested around 140 people for excessive force, but many investigations are still underway in which arrests will follow, the police said.
Reports about attacks in the past week:
13 and 14-year-old boys arrested after explosion in Vlaardingen
Explosions in Heemskerk, Diemen, Rotterdam and Ridderkerk (UPDATE)