Employer name, application deadline, working location, working hours per week, salary/wage, and education level requirement are as follows:
Municipality of Gouda
Business Intelligence (BI) Specialist / Data engineer
Apply no later than Sunday 7 May 2023
How far are we in Gouda with making homes more sustainable?’ ‘In which districts do many households live with an accumulation of different forms of care and which care combinations are common?’ What care needs will the municipality face when you look at the population development?
As you know, such questions can be answered through data. With the answers we want to draw up policy and make the right decisions. At the moment, all this data is still in different places and is therefore not centrally accessible. You are going to change that. As a BI specialist or Data engineer, you contribute to improving our services to our residents and companies.
Who are you going to work with?
You work closely with your fellow BI specialist. Together you manage the existing data environment. A large part of our data initiatives come together within the organization-wide program Memory of Gouda. This program consists of two teams: the Digital team and the Data team. You work with the second team. A multidisciplinary team, with a BI specialist, GEO specialists, information managers, administrators of the source applications, project leaders and the team coordinator. Together we convert ideas into results and transfer them to the organization.
What are you going to do?
You will convert data into usable information. We are looking for a sheep with 4 legs. Is building dashboards your heart or do you see yourself more as a data engineer? Or do you like to do the entire process, from opening up the source to building the dashboard? Describe in your application letter what you prefer. Then we discuss the possibilities together.
What you will in any case do together with your colleagues:
- monitoring the reliability, clarity and completeness of the data in the data warehouse;
- managing Cognos (technical and functional).
As a data engineer you help by:
- access data from various sources;
- managing the ETL process in Pentaho;
- further development of the data warehouse.
As a business intelligence specialist you help by:
- advising the client on the possibilities of management information;
- translating customer demand into usable information products;
- managing existing information products in Cognos.
Depending on your preference, knowledge and skills, you can focus more on one of the above roles in coordination with the data team. So you get the opportunity to get started with what you really want. There is already a good foundation. The municipality has access to an Oracle data warehouse that opens up multiple sources. We work with Cognos as a BI tool and with Pentaho as an ETL tool.
Why is this the job for you?
There are a wealth of projects waiting for you. There is a great demand for information-driven working, especially within the Social domain. If you are an expert at solving data puzzles, you enjoy talking to end users and you get energy from working together with colleagues from different departments, then please apply.
What does your colleague say?
“Great working environment, this team! Just like me, my colleagues like to get things done and are good at what they do. We work towards the same goal and there is a lot of collegiality: if someone needs help, there is always a colleague to help. I also think the atmosphere is excellent: a day without laughter is a day wasted: you don’t have to worry about that here.”
What do you have?
We are looking for a new colleague who wants to actively contribute to improving our services.
- You have a demonstrable HBO/WO level of work and thinking or sufficient experience that shows this;
- You have at least 2 years of experience with ETL tooling or BI tooling;
- You have knowledge of data modelling;
- You have experience with SQL;
- Knowledge of our existing systems such as Cognos, Pentaho. Centric applications (Key2Financien and Suite4SocialDomein) is an advantage;
- You are aware of the privacy sensitivity of data.
This is what we offer:
- Working at the most tasteful city in the Netherlands
Gouda has traditionally been the city of cheese and stroopwafels. Tasteful and diverse! A fun, medium-sized city with metropolitan challenges; because Gouda is developing rapidly. Much remains to be done in the coming years. That’s why we’re also looking for #tastemakers, because we can use your ideas and knowledge! What flavor do you add to Gouda?
What do we offer besides taste?
- If your work allows it, hybrid working is one of the options, in which we focus on a good work-life balance;
- Beautiful modern, centrally located, House of the City with a #tasteful company restaurant;
- Good ICT facilities including a wide choice of smartphones that you can use for work and private life;
- Wide range of fringe benefits;
- Flat organization with plenty of room for your own input;
- Individual choice budget of 17.05% which you can use for various purposes such as training, extra salary or leave;
- A lot of attention for personal development with your own development budget;
- Wide range in the field of your development and vitality via the GoudAcademie, such as courses, (online) training, e-learnings, webinars, masterclasses and e-books;
- < 35 years old? Join 'Jong Goud' for personal development and networking drinks.
Would you like to taste the atmosphere? Check out www.werkenvoorgouda.nl
Salary and contract
This is a 36-hour position, where we always start with a one-year contract. The salary depends on education and experience and is a maximum of €4,671 gross per month (scale 10, salary table April 2022).
Enthusiastic or another question?
Do you also want to work with us as a #taste maker? Then apply immediately via the button or the application form below. This is possible until 7 May 2023. The talks will then take place in the short term.
If you would like more information about the position, please contact Michiel Phaff, head of the Information Provision and Automation department, on 06-38207407. For more information about the procedure, please contact Alexandra Snouck Hurgronje, HR department recruiter, on 06-43385523.
You will receive a response to your application as soon as possible after the closing date for the vacancy. After an initial selection, we approach the candidates for an interview. We hold a maximum of 3 job interviews, these interviews will take place physically. We may also use a reference check and/or (online) assessment. If you are our #taste maker, you will receive a final working conditions interview. We require a certificate of good conduct (VOG) from all our new colleagues.
More information about this vacancy?
Please contact Alexandra Snouck Hurgronje from the Municipality of Gouda (
About the organization
In Gouda there is a relatively large influx into Youth Protection and Youth Probation Service and the associated relatively high deployment of specialist help. The municipality wants to boost the possibilities for the project “down the stairs” by appointing a
more about Municipality of Gouda >
Mayor Jamesplein 1
This job is posted on gemeentebanen.nl. Click here to apply.