American actor Alec Baldwin is not prosecuted for fatally assaulting a camerawoman, Halyna Hutchins, on the set of the movie Rust. This has been disclosed by his lawyers. Baldwin was charged with wrongful death.
Prosecutors prosecuting Baldwin on behalf of the state of New Mexico have not yet commented on the attorneys’ statement. Their case has been troubled for some time: Earlier this year, the most serious charges against Baldwin were already dropped, and several prosecutors gradually left the case.
The fatal shooting incident happened in 2021. Baldwin pulled a gun from his holster twice during the shooting, according to the Los Angeles Times. It went off the second time. Camerawoman Halyna Hutchins was fatally hit, director Joel Souza was able to go home after being admitted to hospital.
“We are pleased that the case against Alec Baldwin has been dropped and we hope that there will be an investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident,” Baldwin’s lawyers said in a statement.
Baldwin has always said that the woman’s death was not his fault. According to him, the bullets should never have been on the set. He also said that he was told the gun was safe to use, and that he himself never pulled the trigger.
The woman who supervised the guns on set was also charged. The criminal case is proceeding as planned.
Earlier this month, Baldwin was also sued for the on-set mishap by Hutchins’ sister and parents in a Los Angeles civil suit. They demand financial compensation for the loss of their family member. It is unknown whether that case will continue.
The recordings of Rust were resumed on Thursday, a year and a half later than initially intended.
- First conviction in case of shooting incident film recordings ‘Rust’
- Charges against actor Alec Baldwin toned down